Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Peanut Butter Wolf Performs Exclusive Record Store Day Set in Tampa!

 The 2013 Record Store Day celebrations across the world were clouded by a 4/20 haze and counter-culture stereotypes. I did my best to avoid stoned hipsters. I was mindful not to trip over the over zealous dead heads but to no avail Record Store Day is one event I could not miss. I braved the storm of cliches and made it out to my local vinyl shop Mojo Books and Music on Fowler Ave here in Tampa. Mojo had some great festivities including free Pabst Blue Ribbon and heavy discounts on their stocks of books, compact discs, and vinyl records. The in store performances were also quite awesome and diverse. Several punk, metal and indie rock bands from the area performed. The highlight of this years event was an exclusive 45' set by founder of  the legendary NYC Hip-Hop label Stones Throw records, Peanut Butter Wolf.
 Chris Manak, aka Peanut Butter Wolf got his start in the early 90’s as the DJ/producer for Charizma in San Jose, CA until December 1993 when Charizma lost his life at the age of 20. 

The video below was recorded live at Mojo on this day. PBW is an unbelievable talent and his set was a sight to be seen, tasted, breathed in, touched, felt, and most of all heard.

 
(All request saturday with Peanut Buteer Wolf courtesy of MOJOTAMPA)

 This made an awesome soundtrack for digging through the crates at Mojo.

 I picked up some cool stuff from my local record store this Record Store Day and enjoyed some great live music from Peanut Butter Wolf.
Firstly,

Brian Eno 
 Brian Eno x Nicolas Jaar x Grizzly Bear

DETAILS
Format: 12" Vinyl
 Label: Warp
Release type: RSD Exclusive Release
More Info:

Split 12". Each Track remixed by Nicolas Jaar
Side A: Sleeping Ute (Nicolas Jaar remix) / Side B: LUX 2 (Nicolas Jaar remix)
This RSD exclusive has two tracks and they're both remixed by the pivotal warp records artist Nicolas Jaar. I love the collaboration with Grizzly Bear and have been listening to it a lot. When warp puts out things like this I'm the first one in line to give them my money.

 Secodly,


Shabazz Palaces
Black Up

DETAILS
Format: 12" Vinyl
Label: Subpop
Release type: Debut
More Info:
Black Up is the debut studio album by Seattle-based Hip Hop duo Shabazz Palaces

This record is crazy and my turntable is loving it. The people I live with hearing the strange noises coming from behind my bedroom door are filled with confusion and curiosity. The record art also has lots of very cool subtle details that you can't really see till you hold the sleeve up to the light. If you're a Hip-Hop fan this record has a lot of value and appeals to anyone who is keeping up with the new wave of cloud rap. While keeping true to the positive lyrics and consciousness focused themes Shabazz Palaces truly delivers with this release. Definitely lives up to the hype.

Record Day This year was a great success and I was also able to share it with a special friend this year who had never experienced it before which made it all the better. I love trying new things and so do most of my friends. Take the first step and share your passions with those you care about. What comes next is unexpected and lovely. Stay beautiful internet and remember, shop local and continue to support your local vinyl establishment.

STAY FRESH!

No comments:

Post a Comment